24 Mar 2020  The Intelligencer (Belleville) DEREK BALDWIN

No new cases of confirmed COVID-19 in the Quinte community were reported as of Monday in Quinte.

A person walks towards the Hastings Prince Edward Public Health building. As of midday Monday three confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported in the Quinte community

A person walks towards the Hastings Prince Edward Public Health building. As of midday Monday three confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported in the Quinte community
There have been no deaths reported from the novel coronavirus illness in Quinte.

Federal and local health authorities, however, have reported several new cases of lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in recent days.

A third confirmed case was reported in the local community by the local health unit as of Friday, according to an online reporting tool by Hastings Prince Edward Public Health.

Two new cases, meanwhile, of COVID -19 among repatriated Canadians from the Grand Princess cruiseship in California have also tested positive and are in isolation units at the quarantine zone at CFB Trenton.

The latest cases bring the number at the air base to a total of 12, said the Public Health Agency of Canada in a statement to The Intelligencer.

“As of Friday, March 20, there are two (2) new confirmed cases of COVID -19 among the travellers quarantined at CFB. One of these cases is a close contact of a previously confirmed case. This brings the total number of cases of repatriated Canadians to 12.”

“The Public Health Agency of Canada’s epidemiological investigations indicate that the positive cases’ last exposure to COVID-19 was on the cruise ship. They are confident that the integrity of quarantine in Trenton has been maintained. Globally, the average time between exposure to COVID -19 and onset of symptoms is 5.1 days, but it can take up to 14 days. The COVID-19 positive test results are not unexpected,” the health agency said.

The official Canadian government COVID-19 update site reported Monday morning 1,430 confirmed cases of the virus across the country, 41 probable cases and 20 deaths.

In Ontario, there were 425 confirmed cases of the illness. In his latest advisory, Piotr Oglaza, medical officer of health, reiterated the all-important call to Quinte residents to stay home to flatten the COVID-19 curve to keep the virus from spreading further.

“The best method for us to combat COVID-19 in our community is to stay home if possible, practice social distancing, avoid large gatherings, and remain diligent with handwashing and infection control practices,” said Dr. Oglaza.

“The responsibility lies with each of us to do everything we can to keep ourselves, our families and our neighbours healthy,” Oglaza said.

Globally, more than 15,000 people have died as reported cases climbed Monday to more than 350,000 cases.

Of the number, 100,000 have recovered, according to tracking website virusncov.com.

Local reports of COVID-19 further, meanwhile, will be posted on the health unit’s website’s COVID-19 page https://hpepublichealth.ca/the-novel-coronavirus-2019ncov/ and updated daily at 2 p.m.

In response to the increased need for community screening and information, the health unit’s COVID -19 information line is operating 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, and 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekends.

Callers are assessed for risk of COVID-19 based on their travel history, symptoms, and the Ministry of Health case definitions.

Health unit officials can be reached by calling 613-966-5500.

In his latest advisory, Piotr Oglaza, medical officer of health, reiterated the all-important call to Quinte residents to stay home to flatten the COVID-19 curve to keep the virus from spreading further.

“The best method for us to combat COVID-19 in our community is to stay home if possible, practice social distancing, avoid large gatherings, and remain diligent with handwashing and infection control practices,” said Dr. Oglaza.

“The responsibility lies with each of us to do everything we can to keep ourselves, our families and our neighbours healthy,” Oglaza said.

Globally, more than 15,000 people have died as reported cases climbed Monday to more than 350,000 cases.

Of the number, 100,000 have recovered, according to tracking website virusncov.com.

Local reports of COVID-19 further, meanwhile, will be posted on the health unit’s website’s COVID-19 page https://hpepublichealth.ca/the-novel-coronavirus-2019ncov/ and updated daily at 2 p.m.

In response to the increased need for community screening and information, the health unit’s COVID -19 information line is operating 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, and 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekends.

Callers are assessed for risk of COVID-19 based on their travel history, symptoms, and the Ministry of Health case definitions.

Health unit officials can be reached by calling 613-966-5500.